GIHOC Distilleries Company Limited was the first modern distillery to be established in West Africa. It was established by the pre-independence Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) in 1958 as the State Distilleries Corporation for the manufacture of alcoholic beverages. By NLCD 207, it however became a division of the then Ghana Industrial Holding Corporation (GIHOC) in 1968.
In 1980, the distillery together with 15 other divisions of GIHOC was reregistered and incorporated as a Limited Liability Company and wholly owned subsidiary of GIHOC, under Ghana’s Companies Code, 1963 (Act 179). Following the closure of GIHOC, and subsequently the repeal of the statute incorporating it in 1993, GIHOC Distilleries became and has since remained a limited liability company, wholly owned by the Government of Ghana.
GDCL has since then performed creditably and established itself as a commercially sustainable enterprise in the alcoholic beverage industry in Ghana. It has over the years perfected the art of distillation, refinery, blending and manufacture of various types of alcoholic beverages for the local market and beyond and is now recognised as a market leader.
GIHOC Distilleries Company Limited was incorporated on December 19, 1979, under the Companies Code of Ghana, 1963 (Act 179) as a private limited liability company.
Having duly complied with all the relevant provisions under the Companies Code, the Company was issued a Certificate to Commence Business on January 17, 1980.On incorporation, the nature of the business which the Company was authorised to carry on is as follows:
- To acquire and take over as a going concern, the business of distilling, refining and manufacturing and/or producing spirits from locally produced molasses and similar crude alcohols and bottling and/or preparing them into finished products for sale carried out by the Distilleries Division of GIHOC and all or any of its assets and liabilities.
- To carry on the business of manufacturing, preparing and selling of other spirits and alcohols for use in the medical, engineering, agricultural, industrial and other fields.
- To carry on the business of importing and exporting alcoholic beverages of all kinds.
- To either purchase or otherwise acquire any business or part thereof carrying on business similar to the above objects.
- To act as general merchants and manufacturers’ representatives in respect of alcoholic beverages.
- To organise the marketing and distribution of the Company’s products.
Produce and market high quality alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages
The most preferred alcoholic company returning great profit to our stakeholders.